Wednesday, November 21, 2012

THANKFUL for THEATER

Many of us were introduced to drama through grade school or
church productions that reenacted historical holiday events.
Oscar Wilde said:
          
"I regard the theatre as the greatest of art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being." 

I didn't know he said that until recently, but I've always felt that way. (The quote was on the playbill for "White Christmas" presented by Rising Star Productions.)

Theater, for me, has always been the place where all art forms converge. It has been the place where I pour out who I am, and best expressed what makes me feel alive. I love making theater. I love seeing live theater. And I love supporting theater.

I'd like to thank those of you who participate in the theater arts here in SW Washington. I know you do it because you enjoy it, but I hope that you also realize that you are giving patrons a gift. Sharing your time, energy and talent--the human quality of artistic expression--brings us joy and helps us discover who we are, too.

There's nothing like the inspiration I feel in my heart as I leave the theater at the end of a great show!

A special thank-you goes out to those extra hardworking visionaries who head up theater companies and venues to make it happen. Thank you to the leaders and supporters of Magenta, Slocum, Serendipity, Love Street, Rising Star Productions, Stageworks NW, Pacific Stageworks and others.

Special appreciation must also be made for the instructors at educational institutions like Lower Columbia College and Clark College, the local high schools, MPAA and CYT (now Journey) who train and encourage rising talent.

Thank you all for allowing us access to your productions.

It has been my privilege to host the SW WA STAR blog with my wife Ruth over the past year. Since we began in late March of 2012, we have witnessed exponential growth every month. We garnered 500 hits in our first thirty days and a thousand in the next. What took us thirty days to do in April now takes us just a weekend.

I could go on, but all I really wanted to do is simply say...

THANK YOU!                                                            Greg & Ruth


UPCOMING REVIEWS:


  • Magenta's "Every Christmas Story Ever Told (and then some)" [post date Nov. 30]
  • Serendipity's "Christmas Belles" [post date Dec. 1]
  • Love Street's "A Christmas Carol" (radio show) [post date Dec. 2]
  • 1st Church of God 40th annual "Singing Christmas Tree" [post date Dec. 6]
  • Living Hope Church 4th annual "Living Nativity" [post date Dec. 18]


No comments:

Post a Comment